Some people are naturally gifted in web design. This means they can develop a website with minimal effort and maximum creativity. If you are such a person, then maybe you should apply for employment at a website design company in Singapore to start off your career.
There are some “hard skill” requirements you need to fulfill before you can get hired by an IT company in Singapore. These are the following:
- Basic educational background: Don’t be surprised by this. It is important that you ideally have a well-rounded education. You cannot get hired by a web design company if you are not, at the very least, a high school graduate. Yes, you could acquire IT skills but most companies will probably insist that you have a basic education to be able to work with them. This is especially true if you join an important project such as designing a corporate website which requires familiarity with business terms.
- Skills in using mark-up language: This refers to both HTML and CSS mark-up languages. No, they’re not codes but some IT professionals know these two like the back of their hand. Use of HTML and CSS are the most basic skills you need since they’re indispensable in current web design and Internet technologies.
- Skills in typography and color selection
- Skills in layouting and navigation
- Design software (a good example is Adobe Photoshop)
Even the best IT applicants will also need “soft skills” before they get to work on the best web design plan in Singapore. These are:
- Proficiency in “best practices” of digital marketing
- Basic communication skills
- Advanced client relationship development skills
- Advanced capability to manage projects under time pressure
Competencies of IT Professionals
One stereotype of IT professionals is that they lack the ability to get along with their colleagues in work teams. In reality, many IT professionals are very good at managing their individual tasks without losing sight of team goals. This is why some IT companies last for years without needing to hire new IT staff. If you intend to join a website design company in Singapore, you will need to learn how to reach team goals without conflict with other team members.
If you are confident that you have what it takes to be a bonafide web designer, the next step is to convince employers of this. Make sure that you have an updated portfolio to present to clients. This should contain your best work so that clients know your proficiency level. Some companies prefer to employ IT professionals rather than staff who only know web design. This depends naturally on client needs and the vision of the company for its industry reputation.
If you want to be more convincing, you can offer to make a test project for your client. That way, they will be sure that you are what your resume says you are. Lastly, don’t forget to keep improving while on the job so that you grow with the company over time.